Apples - Journal of Applied Language Studies is a peer reviewed international Open Access journal housed by the Language Campus at the University of Jyväskylä in Finland. Apples transgresses disciplinary boundaries and invites submissions that broadly relate to issues of language in society. We welcome manuscripts from all areas and fields that discuss linguistic and discursive phenomena and their societal embeddedness, by addressing in/equity, exclusion/inclusion, societal challenges and developments, or language rights. Such contributions may include but are not limited to the following themes:
- Equity in language education
- Equitable education for linguistically minoritized individuals, groups, and communities
- Discourses promoting or jeopardizing equal opportunities in education and society
- Language-related challenges in mainstream educational and societal contexts and possibilities to address them
- Language as dynamically related to other social constructs such as race, class, gender, ethnicity, ability, faith, sexual orientation, citizenship, etc. and the implications of these relationships for individuals, communities, and societies
- Role of assessment in increasing or restricting equal educational opportunities
- Policies creating (linguistic) inequity and the measures needed to remedy that.
We particularly welcome research articles that integrate practical and theoretical perspectives, review articles that critically chart new territories, discussion notes on underreported topics or ongoing research, and reviews of recently published or commonly overlooked books.